I have seen at various sites mention of Alexa. I signed up and they are asking for a verification method.
The two methods they present as a choice is to either upload an Alexa Verification file to your site's root directory - or
add an Alexa Verification ID to your homepage.
Which of these can I use to verify?
The easiest way to verify your site with Alexa is to add the Verification ID to your homepage.
How to get your Alexa Verification meta tag:
1. Go to http://www.alexa.com/siteowners
2. Click on the "Claim your site" link
3. Enter your domain URL and click the "Claim your site" button.
4. You will be presented with two verification methods. Select the second one.
5. Copy the meta tag as directed above
6. Click to "Verify"